So smooth and creamy this sauce is super easy to make and can be prepared ahead of time.
The time and effort itself required to prepare this sauce is next to nothing but be prepared to soak your cashews for at least 24hrs prior to get a super smooth finish to your sauce.
This sauce can be used in a variety of ways and I originally made this recipe for a raw food dinner option.
With this we accompanied it with zucchini noodles and a rainbow style salad which I just grabbed from the supermarket pre-cut to get some colour variation ( I normally do this from fresh but some days I just run out of time so if I do need to grab a salad mix, I just use a pre-cut one with nothing added to it. This can also work out a cheaper option if you need some colour and don’t want to go buying a whole heap of different veges you won’t use up). The strips I bought also looked a lot like noodles so it came out looking like a raw rainbow spaghetti. However if you don’t necessarily follow a raw diet you can use different sorts of pasta to keep it vegan and if you need a gluten free option chickpea or mung bean pasta would work really well. Other options might be rice noodles or kelp noodles even sweet potato would taste great too.
The sauce can be made a couple of days ahead however it will thicken in the fridge so extra water may need to be added to get it back to a thinner consistency again, to cover your noodles.
Raw Creamy Spaghetti Sauce
- 4 Servings
- Print this
- 2 x garlic cloves
- basil - fresh small bunch stems removed leaves only
- parsley – fresh small bunch any type.
- 5- 10TBSP nutritional yeast (I use10)
- salt/pepper to taste
- 2.5 cups cashews pre-soaked overnight
- 120g good quality olive oil
- 2 TBSP organic onion powder
- 130g water (may need extra) add more for a thinner mixture.
- Step 1
- The night before pre soak cashews in a glass bowl fully submerged in water about 24hrs will give a nice creamy texture when blended.
- Step 2
- In a high powered blender add all remaining ingredients and blend for 2-3 minutes (times will vary)
- Step 3
- NOTE: I used 10TBSP nutritional yeast but you can try a lesser amount and add as you go reblending.
- Step 4
- NOTE 2: Any of the quantities of salt/pepper – parsley /basil and onion powder, with all of these more or less can be substituted to suit your taste. I have given the quantities we use. I pick the herbs out of our garden so both the basil and parsley just grab a handful of each. Make sure to remove stems from the basil and use leaves only. Just reblend after each addition to get a nice creamy consistency.
- Step 5
- With the water you can add a little more if you want a thinner mixture too.