This is one of my absolute favourite recipes I have created so far. With lovely chunks of apple and the beautiful flavours of the spices in this wonderful cake you will see why we like it so much. I often take this with me whenever I am asked to bring some morning tea. There is always someone with a request for a second piece. It’s another easy one to throw together. You can use any apples but I normally have whats in season in the house. We often use a granny smith or a pink lady. Don’t be scared to use up your old overripe apples that no one wants to eat that get left in the fruit bowl. This is such a rustic cake and all you have to do is peel the apples cut them into chunks. What makes it even easier is the mix only needs to be just combined and I often don’t even use a mixer I just do it by hand its that easy.
We hope you find this as enjoyable as we do.
Wholefoods Apple Spice Cake
- 8-12 Servings
- 1 hr 30 min
- Print this
- 250g wholemeal spelt flour
- 1 TBSP natural baking powder aluminium free
- 1 TBSP cinnamon
- 1 tsp allspice
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 125g organic butter (melted) - coconut oil works as well for dairy free
- 180g rapadura or coconut sugar
- 4 apples peeled cored and diced
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/3 cup of milk (cows, nut or coconut)
- Step 1
- Preheat Oven to 180 degrees.
- Step 2
- Get a cake tin and grease and line with greaseproof paper.( Mine measures 20cm in diameter)
- Step 3
- Peel core & dice apples into 1.5cm cubes the set aside
- Step 4
- Crack egg into a cup and add milk and whisk with fork set aside.
- Step 5
- Add all dry ingredients into mixing bowl. (Spelt flour, baking powder , cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, sugar. And stir to mix ingredients. I only handmix this cake as it only needs to just come together and doesn’t take a lot of mixing.
- Step 6
- Add melted butter. And stir to combine.
- Step 7
- Mix in all cubes apples and stir though.
- Step 8
- Slowly add in milk/egg mix in increments to avoid mix getting lumpy. When just combined spoon into cake tin.
- Step 9
- Bake in oven for 60 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.